CKF gathered resources to help assisters and families with the confusing but important tax filing process. This year’s state tax return includes a new opportunity for uninsured Coloradans to get connected to health coverage.
Free Tax help:
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): Free tax help for people who make $58,000 or less annually, people with disabilities, and people with limited English proficiency.
- Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE): Free tax help for people aged 60 or older.
- How to find local VITA and TCE sites:
Free Filing Service:
- IRS Free File program: Free federal tax filing for people who make $73,000 or less annually.
- Private programs: Free tax filing services for certain individuals, including from TurboTax, H&R Block, and Tax Act.
Other tax resources:
- Get Ahead Colorado: Public information campaign from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment to encourage tax filing and Colorado resources.
- Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC): Assistance for disputes with IRS. LITC can help represent individuals before the IRS or in court for free or for a minimal charge. Assistance is available through Colorado Legal Services or University of Denver Graduate Tax Program
New Health Insurance Enrollment Through Tax Time Enrollment
Beginning with 2021 tax returns, Coloradans will see a box on state tax forms to indicate if they are uninsured and interested in enrolling in free or low-cost health coverage. Checking this box opts individuals in to having their basic information shared with Connect for Health Colorado to determine their eligibility for financial assistance through Connect for Health Colorado, or get them connected to Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid Program). Individuals who check the box will receive a letter with next steps.
If eligible for financial assistance through Connect for Health Colorado, individuals will receive a special enrollment period to enroll in insurance. Individuals must file their Colorado tax return by April 15 and check the box to qualify for this SEP.
We encourage you to remind clients of this new opportunity and to explore it for yourself if you or a family member is uninsured.