On August 14, 2019, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security published a final public charge rule after proposing a change in late 2018. The final rule, which is set to go into effect on October 15, 2019, expands public benefit programs from the use of income assistance programs (e.g. TANF, SSI) and governmentally subsidized long-term medical care to include federally funded Medicaid programs (with some exceptions) federally funded housing programs, federal food assistance programs (i.e. SNAP), and federal and state income maintenance programs. The following resources are designed to aid assisters when working with clients. Information included is not intended to provide legal advice.
- CKF Public Charge Timeline – January 2020
- CKF job aid: Key Points for Assisters to Help Clients Understand the Final Public Charge Regulation – September 2019
- Free or low-cost immigration attorneys in Colorado: https://www.immigrationadvocates.org/nonprofit/legaldirectory/search?state=CO
- Protecting Immigrant Families national campaign resources available here: https://protectingimmigrantfamilies.org/analysis-research/ including,
- National Immigration Law Center resources available here: https://www.nilc.org/issues/economic-support/pubcharge/